PORT JEFFERSON

Port Jefferson was originally named Sowasset, a native American term for “where water opens”. It was originally a small rural village that was known as a Swampish Hamlet, until the 1820’s when Thomas Jefferson provided the funds to stabilize the 22 acres of the flooding harbor front. The town was renamed Port Jefferson and became Long Island’s biggest builder of ships until.

POINTS OF INTEREST

  • Auto Ferry to Bridgeport, CT
  • Many Bay Beaches
  • Long Island Explorium
  • Brenner’s Farm
  • Fishing Expeditions
  • Thomas Kincade Gallery